Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gem

I have been very negligent of the blog lately, I promise it will only be for another week or so. But until then I have a couple funny things Gem has been doing lately.

This morning Gem was singing "Follow the Prophet" over and over and over and over. When she asked me what I was doing I told her I was cleaning up, which led her to sing a new version of the song which goes "Follow the prophet, clean up, follow the prophet, clean up, follow the prophet, clean up," and so forth and so on. It didn't follow the tune very well but Gem didn't seem to mind.

Last night in the car Gem informed us that she can't work. In her words "I too small to work".

She writes her name now. Kind of. She can write all the letters but she places them at random on the paper. She doesn't realize that the order matters at all, so she will often write her name starting with M and then E and then G, or whatever order she decides on that time.

She tests our knowledge of spelling, she asks me words she already knows, just to make sure I know them. For example every time we see a stop sign she asks me if it says "stop" or "go". I always tell her she already knows what it says, but that just makes her mad. She will also write Mom, Dad, and Levi if I tell her the letters, but again she just places the letters at random on the page. She knows all the sounds all the letters make, but hasn't made the connection yet of how to put the letters together to make words. And she often tells me what letter different words start with. "D for dad, J for juice, Z for zebra, G for Gem, S for stop, and so on and on and on".

She is getting some imagination, she will play with the play dough for a while at a time. And she now makes five or six different things, including snakes, balls, snowballs, pancakes, and other circular items. Though once she made a pig face, and the other day she was making fishes. Or she will sing the muffin man song and make muffins. She loves to paint and I like it when she paints because she will do it forever, I could give her the watercolors at lunch time and she would paint until dinner time. I also like watercolors because they don't stain anything.

1 comment: