Monday, June 28, 2010

More adventures with Gem

Things are never dull in a house with a 3 year old, especially when her dad is not exactly competent either (this is Tyler typing so I can say things like that).

The other day Tara went to a baby shower that the ladies in the ward hosted for her. She was gone for most of the evening and that left me to entertain Gem until bedtime. I think everything went fine that evening. Gem and I played some games and had a good time. About 20 minutes before I put her in bed she asked if she could wear her "big girl under-air" which roughly translates into "panties". Whenever Gem even brings up the subject of pretending to be potty-trained we generally consider it a success, so naturally I let her wear her new "under-air" for a while. After that we played some more games and then she went to bed.

Well, it turns out that anytime you entrust an incontinent person with anything other than a water-tight protective barrier wrapped around their bottom half you're supposed to remember to relieve them from this added responsibility before your leave them for an 8 hour period.

Tara came home and we went to bed. The next morning was Saturday so we woke up lazily until Gem came in. She climbed into our bed and played with our faces as she lovingly does each morning as though we were two life-size, interactive Mr. Potato Heads. After about a half-hour I got out of bed and noticed that there was an extremely large dark spot in the sheet emanating from around Gem. Everything hit me fast. I actually thought for a second that there must be a way to fix this before Tara discovered anything. Needless to say nothing came to mind and I got the privilege of assisting with laundry that day to clean up the big wet spot on our bed and the twin wet spot we soon found on Gem's bed.

In other news, I thought I'd share some more "Gemisms" from her ever-expanding repetoire of words and phrases. Lately she's picked up lines that help her express her self-delusional sense of "coolness". Almost anytime now that Tara and I are having a conversation, Gem will break in and ask, "Whatchu talkin' 'bout?" This favorite little catch phrase of hers pops up at home, in the car, and even during an occasional dinner prayer.

She's picked up a couple lines from one of her videos that teaches her to search and solve puzzles. Anytime she knows we're going somewhere she'll prod us along with, "Hurry, hurry, follow me!" This is always interesting coming from someone who has no idea where to go. When she realizes this small detail she'll wait till Tara leads the way and then she declares, "Follow dat mama!" I'm not really sure which episode of Blue's Clues taught her that one.

Lastly, she's always improving on her manners. About 500 times a day she'll yell throughout the house "I WANT...(insert anything imaginable)!" She'll repeat this incessantly until you respond. We've been trying to respond with patience, "Gem, how do you ask nicely?" To this she'll give a flowery, "May I please, I WANT...(insert previous request)!" Oh well, I guess it's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment