Monday, January 25, 2010

Our Visit to the Grocery Store

Sometimes I have an angel for a daughter, sometimes I have a booger for a daughter. I won't say which half I think comes from which side of the family. Just kidding!!! I know my family is chock full of boogers.

Anyway my post today is about how much fun it is to go the grocery store these days. For example today Gem and I arrived at Vons with a short list. For some crazy reason I thought we would be in and out in fifteen minutes. Little did I know it would take me ten minutes just to walk through the front door. Gem had chosen today to decide that she did not want to sit in the seat on the front of the cart. So as soon as I put her in the seat she climbed out of it. I picked her up and tried to put her back in at which point she decided it was a good time to begin screaming as loud as she could. I am just holding her in my arms, not doing anything to her, but she is having an awesome scream fit. This is when one of the baggers comes by to collect all the carts in the parking lot. He watches me holding my screaming baby and he looks at me like I am the devil. I then proceeded to beg my two year old to please be a "big girl" and sit in the seat so we can go in the store. I gave her many options, however, it took her at least 4 or 5 minutes to decide that yes she would sit in the cart seat. I know a real adult would have just plunked her in there and buckled her up, but I am too scrawny, she is too big and when she struggles I can't hold her down.

So we finally proceeded into the store, I had appeased her by telling her that I was going to buy some fruit snacks. So when we get to the fruit snacks I gave her the options "would you like spider man, or bugs, or dinosaurs?" She thought about it for a second and said "bugs". So I piled a few boxes of "bugs" onto her lap. Then she looked up at me and quite sincerely asked "Eat bugs?" I said "after lunch you can have some bugs". I say the weirdest things these days. Anyway because she had decided she could not wait until after lunch to eat her bugs, she proceeded to gnaw off the corner of the box, by the time we got to the check out stand at least 3 inches of the corner was missing. And you know what, I didn't care because she was quiet.

The other trouble of the grocery store is the balloons all over the place. As soon as we walk in to the store she says "buy balloon" and every week I say "no we are not buying a balloon" Today there was tons of football balloons everywhere, the second we were in the store Gem asked for the "soccy ball" and I said "no that's a football" then she said "buy football", it really is a never ending cycle.

However she is cute sometimes. Somewhere she learned about pockets, she believes that any hole in your clothing is a pocket. She places any small item that she finds down her neck hole into her shirt and comes to me and says "in a pocket". However that is a little embarrassing when she does it in front of the missionaries and then they look at you as if to say 'do you stuff things down your shirt?' Also not appropriate when she tries to put things in mommy's "pocket". I had to explain to her that we only put things into our own "pockets".

2 comments:

  1. You let your child eat bugs?!?!? You are the devil. :) Ok, maybe not. Rachel is a big fan of the balloons at the store too. It's a little embarrassing sometimes as she screams "ba-oon" throughout the whole store. Stupid super bowl.

    ReplyDelete